Monday, November 2, 2009

Pickled whaaaat?

Is pickled garlic that unknown? I mentioned it at work and got a bunch of blank stares. I canned up about 5 pounds of it over the weekend -- two different recipes -- and can't wait till it's ready to try. It takes a couple of weeks to develop full flavor, so I hope I can wait.
The second batch may be a bit much, even for me. The recipe called for a hot pepper for each jar. I used habaneros, and put a half of a pepper in each jar, after cooking them with the garlic as directed. It was pretty intense in the kitchen! I can handle pickled habaneros, but just barely. This recipe used 8 cups of white vinegar, and nearly 3 cups of sugar, heated to boiling, then the garlic, sweet red peppers, and habaneros added and brought back to a boil for another 5 minutes. I also added a couple sprigs of thyme, as I like it with the garlic. We shall see. :-)

Dorie also made some cinnamon honey butter -- much cheaper than the ready-made variety available in the store -- that's great on toasted English muffins. She makes it as we need it, using a stick of butter, honey, and cinnamon. Couldn't be easier! Couldn't be better!!

Folks have been picking on me a little, about the "Christmas ties" I've been wearing to work. They don't remember that I wore them in July as well (when I wasn't wearing a company tee-shirt). I just tell them that without Christmas there's nothing else anyway, so I do Christmas any time of the year. A few people politely accede, but a surprising number are enthusiastic in their agreement! They know what I mean. One lady suggested that I should wear a "Great Pumpkin" tie in honor of Halloween. I told her that it wasn't the Great Pumpkin who died for me. She'd never thought of it that way, guessed she was stuck in the commercial part of the holiday traditions, and agreed that there was much more to it than that.

-----
Got notified today that I'm scheduled for November 12 for Carpal Tunnel surgery on my right wrist, along with trigger finger release surgery on my right forefinger. I wasn't going to have it done so soon after having the left one done,(last July) but it's been keeping me awake at night, so I've decided to bite the bullet and have it taken care of. Besides, I might better have it done before Pelosi, Reid, and BHO totally screw up health care in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment