Sunday, December 6, 2009

Anastasia Rizikov


English grammar provides a list of words called superlatives, to describe things outstanding. As a writer I am familiar with these words, and have used many of them. But I am proposing that a new word be added to that list, because none of the originals are adequate to describe what I saw on December 6th in Binghamton, NY.

That word is, simply, “Anastasia.”

This afternoon a young pianist held an audience spellbound, as she played for us selections from Bach, Liszt, Gershwin, and Bryl. Then, with a superb string quartet directed by Maestro John Covelli, she played Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21. The young lady’s name is Anastasia Rizikov, and she will be 11 years old this week.

I had an excellent seat, where I could see her hands, and her fascinating mastery over the keyboard. But I could also see her face, and there I saw her heart and soul, as she gave herself to the music she played. I saw the pain that comes with the long hours of practice – the hard work of bringing the masterworks of those composers to life again was displayed there, plain for all to witness. But overriding that work was her love for the music and what it represented. And she shared those precious things willingly, and in doing so, won the hearts of everyone in the audience. Anastasia, please accept my thanks for a wonderful performance, and please come back again soon!

To learn more about this treasure, do a Google search on her name, and prepare to be blown away!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely description of the event, Howard. :) It made me smile and wish I'd been there.

    ReplyDelete